Bird Lovers Back up
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

re rosellas

Go down

re rosellas Empty re rosellas

Post  Admin Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:52 am

I am writing in regards to the questions about Goffins and Rosellas and their ability to talk. I don't have any personal experience with Goffins, but do have a Long Billed Corella, which is also a member of the bare eyed cockatoo family, and I have found that at 4 months old he is talking way better than my Greater Sulphur Crested too was at the same age. Rosellas are great birds! They are very strikingly coloured, especially the Crimson Rosellas, but they aren't particularly good talkers, and tend to become nippy as they mature. Even the hand reared ones end up being biters from my experience, and are better kept as aviary birds. Anyone looking for a brilliantly coloured bird with heaps of personality and the ability to talk should consider a lorikeet! I breed several species of lorikeets and have found that it is not at all unusual for a bird to be beginning to talk even before they are completely weaned!!

Patti

First Previous 2-10 of 1 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 1 in Discussion

Patti
so glad to see your answer. My specialties are macaws, cockatiels,senegals ,budgies and finches. Hope you will stop in again.
Katz

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 1 in Discussion

Thanks Patti. A breeder here keeps Rainbow Lorikeets. I didn't realize they could talk! I know they are fruit eaters though, which would work out great here. Size is good too. My friend has an Eastern Rosella and she must be a rarity then, because she is the sweetest little bird in the world! She rarely gets her wings clipped, because my friend won't do it--she's afraid she'll accidentally hurt her. My friend doesn't handle her much and is gone a lot too. "Rosie" seems like a happy bird though, with her toys and radio. I clipped her wings after she got to know me for a few days. I feared the worst when I caught her from the picture frame she had flown to, but not only did she not bite, she was very docile and didn't even fuss! My friend handles her a lot when she's clipped. I want to get Rosie some pets for when her mommy is gone. I was thinking about a couple zebra finches in their own little cage. They would be easy to care for, have each other for company, and provide Rosie with company too. I don't think she will lose interest in people because of a couple finches. What do you all think? If I had it my way, my friend would let Rosie come live with me...(sigh)

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 1 in Discussion

Finches make great company for other birds. Until recently I had a tiel who spent 12 years in a vets waiting room with finches and for the 5 years I had him he never made a tiel sound-only a finch peep. He was so sweet. Katz

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 1 in Discussion

I don't know anything about keeping finches, but do strongly agree that a bird appreciates the companionship of another bird, even if it is of a different species. I do wildlife rescue and have found that birds that are given a companion while in care seem to do much better. With my own pets, I chose to give them a companion in a separate cage to keep them company when I am too busy to stop and play. They seem to appreciate that, and often times teach each other new words and games. It's heaps of fun just to watch the interaction.

Perhaps my info on Rosellas is more specific to Crimsons. I don't think I even know anyone who has an Eastern as a pet. I know I would love to get my hands on a baby Eastern to handrear and keep as a pet.

Lories do make delightful pets, but my experience has been that the Rainbows tend to become nippy in play if they are not handled on a very regular basis. I much prefer Scaley Breasted Lorikeets (very difficult to find outside of Australia) as pets. They are just as clownish, and are extremely good talkers like the Rainbows, but tend to remain much more gentle and handleable. Even my breeder Scaleys are sweet and somewhat handleable where as my Rainbow breeders love to bite. Especially those that were handreared.

Patti

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 1 in Discussion

Thanks...good news then. Rosie will have pets as soon as the weather warms up enough up there then. Patti, I know people in Austrailia keep black toos for pets but I never see them here in the states. I sure would like one--I think. Are they sweet like their cousins? I know each bird is different, but generally do they have personality traits like the sweetness of tiels? My tiels can get awfully nippy, but that is because they are so spoiled that on those rare occasions that they don't get a head scratch just when they want it--they make sure I know that it's my job to see to their little comfort above all else! Hahaha! They make me laugh every day.

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 1 in Discussion

There are actually 4 different black toos native to Australia. The most recognized, of course, is the Palm Cockatoo, but they are native to only a very small area way up North, and in order to keep one, you have to have a zoo keepers license, so you only see them in the zoos. There other 3, Red Tailed Black, Yellow Tailed Black, and White Tail Black are a lot more common in aviculture as well as in the wild, but are incredibly expensive, and also require a license to keep. From what I have seen with the ones I have met, the males are the sweet birds. Even those that were parent reared will very quickly become sweet gentle birds, but the hens tend to be a bit nasty. Generally, people here have a different attitude about keeping birds, and you just don't see many black toos kept as pets. They are much more likely to be breeder birds in an outdoor setup rather than companion animals. Australia set up laws many years ago now that prohibits export of the native animals, so finding a native Australian Black too outside of Australia isn't a very easy thing to do.

Patti

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 1 in Discussion

Oic, that's good that they made that law, but I hear that people are shooting other toos as agricultural pests and that makes me sad. But with the terrible poaching of exotics, I suppose it's better than having the little things suffer in transit. How is the attitude of keeping pet birds different there than here? I know your common pesky birds are our precious little dolls. I think all people who have pets should have to be licensed for the sake of the animals.

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 1 in Discussion

You're right, there is a problem with over population of several of the more recognised species of Australian fauna including Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Black Toos in some areas, Kangaroos, and Koalas and they do cull them. But as sad as it is for those of us who love animals to think about, it is necessary. Many of the species numbers are way greater than the areas they live in can support for long periods, so you end up with problems with diseases. I don't like thinking about people shooting too's, but to see a wild one flying around with Beak and Feather Disease is just as sad.

The license thing is a terrific idea in theory, but honestly, it doesn't seem to me to have much effect on the quality of care the birds and animals that require a license to keep get in captivity. All ya do is send in your money once a year to renew your license, send in a bi-annual accounting of the animals you have, and that's it. In some cases, where people are keeping some of the less common species, the Department of Natural Resources and Environment does occasionally show up at your door and check to make sure the birds you have are avairy bred and not wild caught, but sometimes the department does some pretty nasty things. I know a man who had a breeding pair of Hyacinth Macaws and the department decided that the offspring weren't from his birds, accused him of smuggling in the babies, took them away, and when the man took them to court and won, the department basically refused to comply with the judgement, and 3 years later the man still doesn't have his birds back.

The main difference in people's attitudes with the birds here versus the US is that more people are interested in breeding birds rather than keeping them as pets. Of course, there are heaps of pet birds around, but there are a lot more birds in outdoor breeding setups. Also, the idea that birds need toys and such for stimulation is just now really taking off and because most toys
are imported, they are incredibly expensive.

Recommend Delete Message 10 of 1 in Discussion

Thanks. Lots of good info. Yes, licensing here doesn't mean much either for dog owners for example. It is basically just to tax you for having a dog. I think the people themselves should be licensed, not the animals, and have to pass a mental health test to get the license--but then, I think people should have to pass that test to have children too! I go by the bird toy rule here...the more expensive the toy, the less they like it. Their favorite toys are clothespins, running in and out of paper bags, straw, they LOVE alfalfa blocks, manzanita branches, unscented tissues to tear up, and lava stones. I have some undyed leather strips that I tie to some little blocks of wood with holes drilled in them. They're safe and they like them. They're easy to make and very inexpensive. They still like their bells and mirrors, but nothing seems as good as chewing on a clothespin. I clip their millet and other snacks to the cage with them too. Their favorite is to run all over my keyboard when they get a chance since it gets more attention than them at the time. Hahaha...they make me laugh every day!

Admin
Admin

https://birdlovers2backup.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum