Bird Lovers Back up
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Trim or Not to Trim

Go down

To Trim or Not to Trim Empty To Trim or Not to Trim

Post  AbbyBCLady Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:59 am

Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

From: SnoBird (Original Message) Sent: 13/10/1999 8:46 PM
This seems to be a question that has lots of different answers and reasons. I do trim all of my birds.(except the canaries) I have some of them done at a very qualified Bird store and breeder near our home and trim a few birds myself. I have heard of several horror stories of hot pots in kitchen and escape and now lost birds. Actually, my birds are much more friendly without flight. I think they know I have the upper hand then,so please don't tell them differently..LOL.. How about you...Trim or not??..michele

Message 2 of 1 in Discussion

I personaly do not trim my birds wings exept for during the first six months. I have cats too, so for me it would be unwise for me to clip there wings, because I can only give them super vision for about a hour a day, yet I live the unclipped birds out for about 3 or 4 hours.a day.

Also what is the point of having a bird that doesn't fly? Why were you interested in the birds in the first place? Because of there flight, why take it away?

Message 3 of 1 in Discussion

HELLO, I HAVE A WONDERFUL MAN WHO COMES TO MY HOUSE TO TRIM MY BIRDS WINGS. I'M LEARNING TO TRIM THEM MYSELF TO. I THINK ITS OKAY TO TRIM BIRDS WINGS. IF YOUR GOING TO HAVE BIRDS OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOME OR EVEN IN YOUR HOME I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE WINGS CLIPPED. THEIR ARE ALOT OF DANGERS IN HOME LIKE FANS, WINDOWS MIRRORS ETC... AND BIRDS ARE LIKE CHILDERN THEY CAN GET HURT IT ONLY TAKES A SEC.I THINK IT REALLY UP TO THE PERSON AND THEIR LIFESTYLE IF THEY WANT TO HAVE THEM CLIPPED.JUST KNOW THAT IF THEY DONT HAVE THEM CLIPPED THEY HAVE TO BE WATCHED AT ALL TIMES, YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THEY WILL FLY AWAY OR GET HURT. EVEN WITH CLIPPED BIRDS YOU MUST DO THE SAME.

Message 4 of 1 in Discussion

Hello, I think it's fine to have a bird's wings trimed the first few months you have him in your home. It makes it easier to tame him and lets him become more dependent on you for bonding. Afterwards, you can have the choice whether or not to let the feathers grow back. But a warning, always keep your trimed bird supervised, especially around other pets. I lost my baby lovebird to my pet dog and for weeks I had felt so much guilt in having her wings just clipped. But now I think back and realize that she would not have been so tame and lovable so quickly if she were flying around the house rather than staying in my hands during the taming process. It was worth it to have this sweet little bird even for a short time. *Gracie

Message 5 of 1 in Discussion

Hi, personally I don't like to see birds trimmed because the real beauty of having birds is to see them fly. All of my birds are rescued, one of them had her wings clipped right down to the skin and not just her wings-her tail also as a punishment. Eventually after one year I taught her to fly again and although she was an old bird(like me!!) she eventually had approximately nine months of flying time and I am privileged to have been a part of that-she left me during christmas '98.

The only plus factor in my opinion for trimming is if you are blessed with a bird you can take outside with you. Birds are naturally curious creatures and will eventually be nosy enough to want to be involved with whatever you are doing.

Having said all that I wouldn't dream of telling someone else what they should or should not do with their feathered friends(i'm a liar- of course i would<bg>)

Message 6 of 1 in Discussion

wow, seems like everyone has a different opinion on this subject. I personally do trim my birds wings. I think that if we take the responsibility of having them in our home we should do everything in our power to make sure they are safe from harm. Even if that does mean taking away their flight. If we could all afford large enclosed outdoor flights it would be a different story...but unfortunatly we cant. I would give anything to see my macaw spread his wings and take flight. But for now, thats just not possible. We are both young, so hopefully oneday I will be able to afford that flight cage and teach him to fly.

Amy

AbbyBCLady
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum